Official validation?
Hey!
You know long ago, okay maybe not so long ago, maybe just a minute ago, maybe that day at college, that year in secondary, that hour in the mall, I tried something. I tried it because everyone said it was what I am meant to do. Apparently it's this thing everyone does, and it's 'normal' I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd try.
It's basically the official validation programme. Apparently everyone's enlisted but not everyone makes it. It's really simple and easy to carry out. All you have to do is get validated from the opposite sex.
It's done through looks, dates, texts all that, that is monitored by the OVP (it's automatically registered)
So she said I should begin with something easy, getting guys to look at me. But she told me my style was off putting and not appealing. I needed to wear the new fashions to get noticed. I asked her, wouldn't it attract more attention if I looked different? She replied with a aggressive no! Mainstream always works, she shouted, and I a newbie should definitely not question it.
She also said my hobbies or ... 'Loner activities' were also very unappealing, but the whole thing was so confusing I mean what if I couldn't tell if he looked at me. Is it part of the rules to ask him? And what confused me more was, if I walked past him again is that considered cheating?
My friend said these questions weren't important and I wasn't focusing. So I tried to pay attention, she told me that if you werent considered pretty you were practically nothing. Like the rejects (as she calls them) have zero happiness, and I wanted to be happy you know so I thought I'd give it a go. First day I tried it, I realised no one even glanced at me.
It was hard pretending to be someone else all the time, my parents noticed it too, but they never made it to the OVP final stages, my family was seen to be part of the rejection. They told me I shouldn't bother but I wanted to. While I was inherently destined to be rejected I had a miracle in my life, which was my friend. I had the help of a friend who's family had made it. I did always wonder why she wanted to help me. Only later on did I find out.
Anyway I managed to make progress and I did get a few looks, but I wasn't feeling any happier, I missed climbing trees and talking to them. I missed my comfortable clothes.
So secretly I started them again and I felt better, I felt happier than the OVP could ever make me feel.
I decided it wasn't for me. I didn't want to be validated by others who have no idea who I am, my dreams or passions, who judge me based on my appearance and what I act like. I didn't care if they thought I was weird and unattractive I wanted to be true to myself, and I didn't want them
I realised I was everything I wanted, and I had already validated myself long ago, their approval would never do anything for me. So I realised just because everyone thinks it's normal doesn't mean I want to do it. I should do what I want to do not what others want me to. I'm not living my life on others expectations, I'm just done with it!
And you, oh reader should be too!
Comments
Post a Comment